Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio Infocomm can’t be led promotional free voice calls and data beyond 3rd December 2016. The regulatory sector, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had made an announcement on Thursday and also to all other telecom operators.
This is something like mind-blowing news for the millions of people in India who are enjoying Jio Welcome offers from Reliance Jio. According to the TRAI guideline, a telecom operator cannot offer a promotion packs more than 90 days. Hence TRAI has ordered Reliance Jio to stop the free voice calls offer by December 3.
“The tariff plans offered by RJIL and various submissions after that have been examined, and it is found that the tariff plans filed with TRAI can’t consider as IUC non-complaint, predatory and discriminatory at present,” TRAI said in its letter to operators.
If this is not done, the company should face a penalty but knowing Reliance would find a solution to ensure that they can still continue free offering and gain millions of subscribers to their network. The regulator also mentions that they will be a close watch on the tariffs offered by other telecom networks.
Clarification of changes in Jio 4G Offer
- Jio Welcome Offer (JWO) benefits free unlimited voice calls, and date (4G at high speed) will be available to all the subscribers till 30 December.
- The JWO offer to the new customers for subscription until 3rd December 2016.
- Customers who have not subscribed to the services till December 3 will be able to avail the new offers as well as tariff plans that are available from Reliance Jio.
- Jio will continue the offers of consumer friendly plans to enhance data and voice experience for all the customers.
- Earlier Reliance Jio might be extending its free data plan after Jio Welcome Offer ends on 1st January 2017. Reports state that the telecom giant might continue the free unlimited data and voice calls offer access once the current Jio Welcome Offer expires.
While most of the Reliance Jio rivals including Airtel, Idea and Vodafone have also announced extra benefits to their data packs. The 3G operators, BSNL and Aircel, have also announced some special offers to attract customers and to counter the Reliance Jio’s unlimited voice offer and 4G data.